Friday, February 26, 2010

Today is the second day of my vegan-ness and I'm already hitting a bunch of hang ups! UNM called me yesterday to say that the appointment I made for a physical had been canceled because the doctor was out for the day, and they can't get me in again until next week. I will be in Houston all of next week for the meeting of the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference so that simply will not work. Curses! I guess I'll just have to do this without the caveat of a physical in the beginning for comparison at the end ::grumble grumble grumble::

In food news I also hit a road bump this morning. I was merrily munching on my Morning Star breakfast sausage soy patties and blackberry apple sauce when it dawned on me that those patties tasted really good. This piqued my interest, since generally things that taste really good have some kind of animal product in them.... and sure enough they have egg whites listed in the ingredients. I thought it was the same brand I bought over the summer with the "vegan" label on it, but sadly I was mistaken. This is more unfortunate because I stocked up and bought four boxes that were on sale. Now they'll just have to sit for a month.... but at least this is more encouragement to steer clear of processed foods.

The next hurdle: Houston next week. It's going to be difficult to keep pace when everyone will be going out to eat for every meal. As a lowly grad student I'll be at the mercy of the pack in terms of restaurant selection. I am thinking I'll be sticking to a lot of veggie fajitas, bean burritos, veggie plates, and salads. That's OK though. I like that this is forcing me to eat better -- though don't be mistaken, it's pretty easy to hop the Pasta Train and not incorporate any veggies. But then you feel like crap all of the time. Definitely trying to avoid that!

And I'm going to say right here that I consider beer to be vegan, even though some people don't, I'm just not willing to get rid of beer.

:)
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment